Monday, January 10, 2011

Zumba Craze! I'm in.

A lot of my friends and family members ask me about Zumba and if it's just another "fad" or "craze."  Well, if it is either of them, count me in!  I'm hooked!! 

If you have ever loved dancing at any point in your life--whether it be tapping on stage, dreaming of being a prima ballerina or if you only dance in your living room when nobody is looking--then Zumba is for you, too.  Group fitness classes can be intimidating to attend-I am the first one to admit that.  Although I am a health professional, I can be clumsy sometimes...and, for some reason, always when there is a step involved.  Needless to say, I was a bit shy when I entered my first Zumba class.  I stood in the back, and hoped that no one would notice if I messed up a step or turned towards to the wrong side. 

When the music started and the warm up song began, not only did I lose all of my initial fears and insecurities, but I also gained a sense of confidence in myself that I could do it.  The steps were easy to follow, the beat of the music helped me keep time and the energy of the instructor and the participants was contagious!  It felt like I was dancing with easy choreography-and although it was a strenuous class, it was more fun than anything else!  I have been missing an aerobics-style class like this in my life for far too long.  You can burn approximately 450 -750 calories per class!  And that seems to be just a rough estimate!  It could be more than that depending on the intensity and length of the class.

Here is the link to the official Zumba website:
http://www.zumba.com/us/

I am not one to promote a specific product, but ever since I started taking these classes, I have been wishing everyone could try it at least once!  The smile I have after the class is one that lasts well into the following day... That is always a great way to be walking around! 

After my first class, I was feeling some soreness in muscles I haven't felt in a while. The second class, my muscles already remembered the moves so it didn't feel as intense as the first class.  The next class, I found it easier to loosen up and enjoy myself and by the fourth class, I was hooked--and happy about it.  Work/travel/commitments can get in the way of my participation, so I decided to also invest in the dvds.  I am not condoning the purchase of items--just reporting what I've done and seeing if it works so I can help with your decision-making processes.  So far I have not had the opportunity to use them at home, but will have some time later this week, so I can report how the dvds compare to the class. 

My one observation from my experiences is that when you take group fitness classes, you tend to push yourself harder and work longer...when I'm by myself, it can be easy to cheat on some of the moves/exercises.  My suggestion: don't cheat yourself and take the class whenever possible.  It's great for socialization as well as muscle tone, weight loss and overall health and wellness. 

Happy Dancing!!